About Volcano Adventure Camp(VAC)
Volcano Adventure Camp (VAC) is the new youth camping facility at Lassen Volcanic National Park and ONLY for the use by youth groups. This upgraded campground allows youth groups to enjoy fun outdoor activities, engage in unforgettable experiences and connect with nature, thus fostering future stewardship of our national parks. A variety of environmental educational activities, including the “Leave No Trace” curriculum, spring to life for the campers.
Check out these videos to learn more:
Frequently Asked Questions
For your youth group to be considered eligible to stay at the Volcano Adventure Camp 2023 you must meet the following guidelines:
- Group size must be a minimum of 6 people, a maximum of 80 people, and be comprised primarily of youth between the ages of 6 – 18 years old.
- Group camping trips must be a minimum of three days (two nights) and not exceed seven days (six nights).
- VAC is divided into two half sections, each with five tent cabins. Each tent cabin holds 1 adult/supervisor and up to 7 youth. Lassen Volcanic National Park policy requires I adult per tent-cabin.
- Medium group capacity (5 tent cabins or 1/2 the VAC) = 6 to 40* people total.
- Large group capacity (10 tent cabins or the Full VAC) = 41 to 80* people total.
*During the COVID pandemic the capacity of VAC was reduced by half, with only four people allowed per tent-cabin. Youth Groups will want to consider this possibility for Summer 2023.
SUGGESTED DONATION amount for groups wanting to reserve VAC tent cabins is $75/night:
If your group represents underserved youth you may qualify for a grant up to $1,000 to offset camping costs through our Youth Camping Program. These small grants are awarded to non-profit youth organizations, public schools, and/or government agencies to facilitate camping trips for underserved youth at Volcano Adventure Camp.Grant applications are typically available January - March every year. If you have missed the current year's grant application (available late January - March 31 annually), please mark your calendar for next year and consider reserving space for this year.
Tent cabins, a cooking area, food lockers, campfire circles, vault toilets and shower facilities make camping more convenient for youth groups. The former Crags Campground is the home of the new Volcano Adventure Camp, and offers a chance for youth to camp during the “shoulder” season. For more information on the camp, please visit the LAVO website.
The $700,000 capital project (LPF and NPS combined contributions) opened for youth groups in summer 2017. We have completed our portion of the capital campaign and raised over $480,000 to build the project. Now our efforts are redirected at ensuring the long-term success of the facility by building an Endowment Fund. To make a donation toward the Endowment Fund, please use our ONLINE DONATION FORM or call our office at (530) 768-1110.
We offer you a full list of previously funded youth groups, and some recent testimonials from the 2021 participants.
Youth Camping Program
The Lassen Park Foundation and Lassen Volcanic National Park have been introducing youth (ages 6 to 18 years) to the joys of camping in a national park since 1996. For the past 24 years this Youth Camping Program has supported non-profit youth groups that serve at-risk or underserved children by awarding scholarships to offset their camping costs. Many of these young campers have never camped or visited a national park before participating in the Foundation’s youth camping program.
This summer enrichment program supports non-profit organizations, public schools, and local government programs that serve at-risk or underserved youth from throughout Northern California. Through camping, exploration, and education, the youth camping program addresses the following goals:
- Camping facilities provided at the Volcano Adventure Camp introduce new campers to the outdoors in a group setting.
- Educational excursions provide opportunities for young campers to step into Lassen’s rich natural and cultural history.
- Through exploration of Lassen Volcanic’s mountain ecosystems, campers discover their connection to the complex web of life.
- Ranger-led environmental education activities emphasizing teamwork and cooperation enable children to safely experience the great outdoors.
- Campers enjoy fun outdoor activities, which encourage healthier lifestyles through exercise.
- Unforgettable experiences in the great outdoors foster future stewardship for our national parks.
For youth organizations that do not have the necessary funding to pay for campground reservations, park admissions, or provide supplies/equipment needed for a youth group camping trip, LPF's Youth Camping Grants are available yearly. Youth camping grant application window is typically open January through March each year. Approved grants can include:
- Awards of up to $1,000 to cover camping costs
- Waived park admission and campground fees
View full list of organizations that have received this grant
View recent testimonials about participation in the Youth Camping Program
Annually, the Volcano Adventure Camp (VAC) operates from mid-June through mid-September. Anticipated camping dates for Summer 2023 are June 16 to September 17.
The camp is divided into two half sections, each with five (5) tent-cabins. Each tent-cabin has eight (8) bunk beds.
Once youth groups that are awarded grants and the VAC is reserved for them, the Availability Calendar is open to other groups to make a reservation.
For questions, please email us at email@example.com