Volcano Adventure Camp (VAC) is the new youth camping facility at Lassen Volcanic National Park that will help more youth connect with nature and become future stewards of Lassen Park. Environmental educational activities, including “Leave No Trace” curriculum, will be enhanced with the upgraded campground.
Tent cabins, a cooking area, and shower facilities will benefit at-risk and underserved youth by offering them an opportunity to camp and visit a national park. Crags Campground is the home of the Volcano Adventure Camp, and offers a chance for youth to camp during the “shoulder” season. For more information on the camp, please visit the LAVO website:
The $700,000 capital project (LPF and NPS combined contributions) will open for youth groups in summer 2017. We have completed our portion of the capital campaign and raised over $480,000 to build the project. Now our efforts are redirected at ensuring the long-term success of the facility by building an Endowment Fund. To make a donation toward the Endowment Fund, please use our ONLINE DONATION FORM or call our office at (530) 378-2600.
How to Apply :
- The VAC application for the 2017 summer season are now available. Download the application on our Youth Camping Program page.
- Youth groups may apply for one for a grant up to $1,000 to offset camping costs. These small grants are awarded to non-profit youth organizations, public schools, and/or government agencies to facilitate camping trips for at-risk or underserved youth at Volcano Adventure Camp. Successfull grantees will be utilizing the VAC for the summer 2017 season, depending on availability.
For your youth group to be considered eligible to participate in our Youth Camping Program, you must meet the following guidelines:
- Group must be affiliated with a non-profit, public school, public entity, or have a fiscal sponsor.
- Group size minimum of 6, maximum of 104.
- Group camping trips must be a minimum of three days (two nights) and not to exceed seven days (six nights).
- Group trip must be scheduled between June 2017 – September 2017
To view the Volcano Adventure Camp film that debuted at the 2015 Telluride Mountainfilm Festival held at the Redding Civic Auditorium, please follow this link: https://youtu.be/3ebMk_E1-8A